Today I ran 12 slow, steady, wonderful miles. I didn’t even feel too tired afterwards. It makes me wonder if we even need an excess of carbs to run, or if it’s a sort of marketing ploy or something. I had my gatorade and ate my meal bar before the run, and I felt perfectly fine running today. It’s just making me rethink the things I’ve been told as a runner for the past year and a half. Are gels and gu’s necessary? We’ll see how things continue to go, but so far so good!
After my run, the hubby and I went to the Dekalb Farmer’s Market. I love that place!! They have got everything you can imagine in that place. Here’s a photo of what we snagged today:
After I finished cutting up all the fruit, it was time for a nap with the puppy. He was happy about this, and I have to admit that I wasn’t too upset either!
After our short nap I went to the grocery store for a few things I couldn’t get at the Farmer’s Market. I was so, so hungry, so this was a bad, bad idea. As I stood in the check out line I literally got irritated staring at the candy and chips. I resisted, but I definitely lingered in the ice cream isle checking out things I couldn’t get… I need to make sure I eat before going grocery shopping!
For dinner I had left over No Carb Pizza and made scallops wrapped in bacon and sweet potato fries. I’ve included links to the original recipes, but as usual will have my variations at the end of this post. I have been using Emeril’s ESSENCE Seasoning on everything latley. It adds the perfect flavor to just about everything. I even put some on our fries tonight.
My carbs were high today, but that’s because I had almost 100 again this morning for run (total carbs: 142g // total calories: 1429).. I’ll take it considering I did 12 miles today!!
Scallops Wrapped in Bacon (3 carbs — for 4 oz scallops)
- Cook as many slices bacon as you have scallops (I had 8) on parchment paper on a baking sheet at 350 degrees F for 12 minutes. Remove from oven to cool.
- Cover scallops in 1-2 tbsp Emeril’s ESSENCE Seasoning and cook in butter in a pan for 5-8 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Place scallops on bacon slice, roll up, stick a toothpick in and add a tiny bit more butter if you desire (I did!)
Sweet Potato Fries (18.5g carbs — for half a potato)
- Cut one sweet potato length wise and cut off the ends
- Slice potato lengthwise into matchbox size slices, place in a bowl and coat with olive oil
- Place some parchment paper on a baking sheet, spread out potatoes, and bake at 425 degrees F for 20-25 minutes.
- Sprinkle with salt or whatever seasonings you desire
Tomorrow is a recovery run, I hope I can get my lazy butt out of bed to actually do it before it gets too hot! Wish me luck!