I just don’t understand the hype about carbs & running. I have been eating low carb (under 100 g per day) for 2 months now, and my runs feel no different. I don’t necessarily have more energy during the runs, but I definitely don’t have less. What I do have is more energy during the day. I drink less coffee, I exercise more, and I feel better. I definitely didn’t see that one coming!
Today I did just under 8 miles with Christian Runners. It was humid but cooler (under 80 for sure – maybe even under 75!) and the run was on a hilly trail, so I had to slow down a little to watch my feet so I didn’t trip over rocks or roots! Finished in about 1:29. This was my first “trail run”, and it was pretty fun, but I think I’ll stick to the roads around home. Getting mud caked all over my calves is not my cup of tea!
After my run I made Paleo Ginger Snap Cookies from Health-Bent while making/eating breakfast. I just discovered this website through a friend and am so in love with it. These recipes look so awesome, I can’t wait to try more!
My recipe made 15 cookies: 120 calories // 7.5 carbs each
- 1 cup almond butter
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 3 oz crystalized ginger (or in my case, uncrystalized candied ginger from Trader Joe’s), cut up into small pieces
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and place parchment paper on a cookie sheet.
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl with handheld or stand mixer. The dough will be thick! That’s okay!
- Use a cookie scoop or teaspoon and place rounded balls of dough on the sheet. Flatten them out! There is no baking soda or powder in the dough, so they will not change from the shape you make them. I made mine too thick. Make them thinner so they bake quicker & are ‘snaps’ instead of crumbly messes!
- Let them cook completely before inhaling.
The taste of these cookies is stellar. They are very crumbly though, which I think is because I made them too thick. I’ll be trying them again much thinner in the near future!
I’m also going to make more Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies this weekend because they are that good!!
- Busy Saturday & Paleo Snickerdoodle Cookies (lowsugarlowcarbslongruns.wordpress.com)
- A Lazy Labor Day & (surprise, surprise!) a new Paleo Cookie Attempt! (lowsugarlowcarbslongruns.wordpress.com)