I had you at brownie, didn’t I? But first…
Today was a 3 mi recovery run, followed by church, teaching a bunch of 3 & 4 yr old girls & 1 boy at Sunday School (imagine conversations involving ‘Justin Beaver’ — and ‘why do we keep talking about sheep?’ — oh my!) and an afternoon 5 mi walk with the pooch to my favorite place (Starbucks) and a quick stop at his favorite place (Petco) and then home.
It was such a beautiful day out (75 degrees and a slight breeze) that I couldn’t stay indoors. I had such a nice time walking the pooch at a leisurely pace, and I’m sure he enjoyed it more then our runs (he’s the laziest dog when it comes to exercise, I swear!) I rounded out the day with a Steak & Shake Burger for dinner (lowest carb one on the menu, of course!), a trip to the Farmer’s Market, & a half hour nap on the couch. What a busy day!!
I have exercised my legs (walking/running) for 16 miles this weekend! I haven’t done this much exercise in such a short time span since before my half marathon. And I can feel it! I’m super tired, which I blame on not sleeping well Friday OR Saturday night, and all the walking I did today. My body just isn’t used to walking since we left Boston. Atlanta is more of a drive-everywhere-because-you-have-no-choice kind of city, where Boston is a walk-and-you’ll-get-there-faster-then-driving kind of city….anyway, walking 5 miles=tired legs.
Last night I may or may not have rounded off my week of baking with Paleo Fudgy Brownies. The hubby was skeptical last night, thinking they were ‘ok’ last night when they were still warm, but it was chocolate and I’m always a fan of chocolate, so I ate one & enjoyed it.
BUT TODAY…I had a frozen piece, and it literally tasted like fudge. The melt-in-your-mouth, this-has-to-be-awful-for-me kind of fudge. I was in heaven. I SO recommend making this recipe if you are craving something sweet.
Paleo Fudgy Brownies
- 1 cup almond butter
- 1/2 cup canned coconut milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4-1/3 cup coconut palm sugar (depending on how sweet you want it)
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup nuts (I used pecans – totally optional though)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8×8 baking dish with butter, oil, whatever (I am trying to use up my old cooking spray so I used that — I know I know, bad Ariel! that’s not Paleo at all!)
- Mix all ‘wet’ ingredients in a bowl with a handheld mixer, stand mixer, or whisk.
- Add in ‘dry’ ingredients (leave chocolate chips & nuts out) and mix until combined. Add in chocolate chips.
- Pour into greased 8×8 dish and sprinkle with nuts (optional). Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until it looks ‘done’ in the middle. I guess you could use the knife technique, but I just assumed they were done when they started to pull away from the edges.
I used coconut palm sugar in this recipe because I already have it at home, I like it, and I don’t like the idea of using regular sugar. Health-Bent says it’s okay to use regular sugar in a sweet anyway, but I still can’t do it. Regular sugar is just totally off my radar right now in my life!
I also did not calculate the calories/carbs in this. I started to, and decided to just forget it because it is a brownie, so of course it’s not going to fit into my diet anyway. Maybe I will calculate them later when I’m not being so lazy & sleepy…
And there’s my day in a nutshell, along with some delicious brownies to keep you all busy until next time….