My day started out with a 3 hour long trip to the dentist, to have 3 cavities filled and a cleaning. Not the best way to start my day, but better then working I guess, and it reminded me how thankful I am that I am so over my love of sugar (and one of the reasons my teeth suck)!
So I took it as a sign when I found this little quiz on the news site I visit daily. As I took the “quiz” (it’s not really a quiz, just a few questions you answer ‘true’ or ‘false’ to), I was amazed how every single question would have been a ‘TRUE TRUE TRUE!!!’ only 3 months ago. But thanks to my friend, the low carb diet, I have kicked my sugar addiction to the curb and am moving on with my life.
In no way is sugar completely out of my life. I enjoy baking (just using alternatives to sugar) and I’m sure when my weight loss journey is over I will eat things that contain sugar, but in moderation. Moderation is something that I’m still working on, but getting better at. It feels nice that I don’t feel the need to rush to candy when I’m upset, and I in no way need to incorporate it into my diet like I did before. I honestly feel more free.
I had some free time at work and was googling articles on low carb diets, and found this one from NYTimes.com. I shared this article with The Hubby, who is a little genius and is a doctor-in-training, told me there are some concerning parts about this article that may make us re-think our diets.
He’s been asking if we could switch to the Mediterranean Diet for weeks and I think I’m finally ready to agree. For now, I’m going to focus on one serving of whole-grains a day, and go from there. I’m going to still watch my sugar like crazy and watch my carbs, but maybe aim for 150-200g per day, instead of under 100g, and focus on my carbs being from fruits and veggies for the most part. I can’t wait to eat fruit again!
I’ve been sick for the last 2 days, which has meant no exercise. I have this annoying, awful cold that has been keeping me up at night (even with Nyquil!) and has kept me hopped up on cold medicine all day. No. Fun. At. All! I’ve given myself a 3-day break from exercise, but today is the last day. Tomorrow I’m going on a lunch run and am lifting with the hubby at night. No excuses!
Tonight’s dinner was Chicken Lettuce Wraps, which are my favorite thing to get at P.F. Chang’s. I got the recipe from Iowa Girl Eats and changed it just a little.
from Iowa Girl Eats
- 1lb ground chicken breast
- 1/2 large onion, minced
- salt & pepper, a dash of each
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch nob fresh ginger, peeled & minced
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Hoisin Sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili sauce (or more if you like it hotter – I’m a wuss!)
- dash of fresh pepper
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 8oz can sliced water chestnuts, drained & chopped
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup peanuts, chopped (optional)
- 10-12 large outer lettuce leaves, rinsed and patted dry
- Heat a wok or large pan on high heat with 1-2 tsp olive oil.
- Add ground chicken, onion, salt & pepper and cook until almost done.
- Add garlic and ginger and cook until done (not pink).
- Combine sesame oil, soy sauce, Hoisin Sauce, Chili sauce, and fresh pepper. Add to pan. Mix until combined.
- Add green onions, chestnuts, mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes.
- Turn off heat and add peanuts (if desired).
Yum! This recipe was delicious and filling. I love lettuce wraps so much!
Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’ve got a sleepy puppy to curl up with on the couch for the remainder of my ‘I’m too sick to run my errands’ night…