I am supposed to already be done with my run. Except when my alarm went off at 6:15, I hit snooze. Then, at 6:20 I reset it for 6:30…only I must have not reset it, or reset it wrong, or dreamt I reset it…because I didn’t wake up until 7:40. Awesome, I know.
I woke up feeling weird. I didn’t eat enough calories yesterday, but by the time I got done babysitting it was late and I just wanted to brush and go to bed. So I THINK I felt weird because I needed to eat. So I ate. And then I felt sick. What the heck?! It’s either my body being weird or that Atkins Bar (got free samples, I am NOT starting Atkins) is funky. Either way, now I’m stuck sitting on the couch waiting for this stomach ache to subside so I can go get in my 8 mi run….
I’ve been sticking to my diet pretty well and have been eating around 125-150 g carbs daily, occasionally going up to 175g. My weight has been fluctuating a lot though. It is frustrating but I’m pretty sure it is from the occasional water loss/gain from my carb intake changing. I will deal, and only weight myself after a lower-carb day I guess.
Today I weighed in at 196.8 lbs! Woo hoo! I love when I have good weeks, and despite this being the I-love-chocolate-want-to-kill-someone-must-eat-sugar week of the month*, I managed to only eat chocolate on Monday and Friday, and I had lot of veggies and fruits. It was definitely a good week.
Since yesterday was chocolate Friday, I ate some homemade trail mix (cashews, peanuts, almonds, dried berries, dark chocolate chips — 1/3 cup each, except only 2 tbsp chocolate chips — this makes multiple servings, do not inhale the entire thing and then wonder why you didn’t lose any weight! and i am most definitely speaking from experience here…) and I made some Chocolate Pumpkin Muffins. I made these muffins normal size (18 muffins) and used a splenda/brown sugar mix that I bought a few months ago. I think they turned out delicious, but the hubby was not impressed.
Chocolate Pumpkin Muffins
adapted from CookieMaddness
I thought this recipe was great. The muffins turned out super moist and the chocolate chips made them just sweet enough. I’ve been on a low sugar diet for a few months now, so maybe that’s why, but I didn’t taste any aftertaste from the Splenda mix (a little artificial sweetener never hurt anyone, don’t be fooled by the protests!)
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tbsp flax meal (just for fun! you can sub another 1/4 cup whole wheat flour instead)
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar/Splenda mix
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 8 oz canned pumpkin (about a cup)
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup unsweetened almond milk (i didn’t have any regular milk, that would work fine too)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- Mix together flour, flax meal, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate mixing bowl, mix together brown sugar, pumpkin, eggs, milk and vanilla.
- Add in dry ingredients and mix with a spoon.
- Melt butter and stir into batter. Add in chocolate chips.
- Line a muffin, mini muffin, or jumbo muffin tin. Spray with cooking spray. Baking at 375 degrees for 16-18 minutes.
Nutrition (makes 18 muffins) : 157 calories // 19 g carbs // 7 g far // 2 g protein
*why yes ladies, I did reference that time of the month…
Alright, feeling better, time to attempt my run — have a nice Saturday everyone!