I miss the old me.
And by the old me, I mean the healthier-eating-extra-mile-running-low-carb me, before Christmas invaded my life, heart and stomach. Not the old, old me who was….unhealthy.
I’m going to get back to that old me, one step at a time. Starting with only baking flourless cookies. And eating better. Yep, definitely need to work on eating better.
Flour is really pointless to me now. I have so many better alternatives, and they taste pretty darn good too! I ate a Flourless Chocolate Chunk Pecan cookie today, and then nibbled on a full-of-flour-and-sugar cookie, and was actually surprised to find that I loved the first one much more then the sugary one. Hmmm…tastes are changing, maybe?
I was super excited when Delighted Momma posted a new recipe for Flourless Chocolate Chunk Pecan Cookies since I was sick of all the flour and sugar in my life and I had extra pecans from another cookie recipe I made a few days ago — hey, pecans are expensive so i’ve got to use them all, right?!
They turned out a little crumbly but overall delicious! I can’t wait to tweak this recipe some more after the holiday’s are over (I think I’m finally all baked out for now). Her recipe was paleo, but I am out of coconut oil so I used butter instead. Maybe next time!
MY NEW RUNNING SHOES CAME YESTERDAY BUT I WAS TOO SICK TO TRY THEM OUT, so I went for a short 2.5 mi run with a friend tonight and OH MY GOSH, it felt like running on air. I am a huge, huge, huge fan of Brooks shoes, but these babies are like honey for my flat, wide, size 11 girl feet =)
I seriously could not be happier. My first pair of running shoes were the older Brooks Dyads, and I eventually wore them down and started to get blisters. I didn’t know any better and thought that any running shoe I was fitted with would be created equal, so I switched around for a bit. For my last shoe I went with a Men’s Nike and loved them, UNTIL I PUT ON THESE GEMS AND REALIZED I’VE BEEN LIVING A LIE! A RUNNING LIE!! (I’m being just a little dramatic here for emphasis…maybe…just a little…)
I will never run in another brand of shoe. Unless of course someone gives me shoes for free, then I may try out new ones. But for now, I love my Brooks!!
I’m getting over a bad cold/virus thing that I’m pretty sure I got from babysitting over the weekend. I’m going to rest up tonight and hopefully be back in full swing tomorrow for a 4 mile run! I only had to walk once tonight because the coughing/chest burning got too bad…
For now, I’m going to go read my book and cuddle near the Christmas Tree with my BFF (Best Fury Friend, of course)!
Flourless Chocolate Chip Pecan Cookies
from Delighted Momma
edited for my personal tastes (and available items)
Makes 20 medium cookies
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3 eggs
- 2 tbsp skim milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 cup special dark chocolate chips (Hershey’s Brand)
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Mix together butter and honey. Add in 1 egg at a time.
- Mix in coconut flour, salt, vanilla, milk, and pecans.
- Slowly mix in chocolate chips.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Drop dough by heaping tablespoons onto cookie sheet covered with parchment paper. THIS DOUGH DOES NOT MOVE DURING BAKING, SO SHAPE ACCORDINGLY!
- Bake for 12 minutes or until desired doneness (12 minutes made mine pretty soft in the middle, the hubby likes his cookies soft)
- Let cool 3 minutes on cookie sheet, then transfer to a wire rack to cool another 10 minutes before eating.
- Christmas Cookies: My Paleo Favorites (amberwoodterrace.wordpress.com)
- Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies (Gluten Free!) (thesmartcookiecook.com)