For as long as I could remember I had been a picky, junky eater. I loved pizza, chicken tenders, ice cream, chocolate, gummy bears, and pretty much anything with sugar. I avoided greens at all costs and never really considered nutrition as something important.
I’m slowly learning to eat healthier, make better choices, and avoid sugar at all costs! For me, it’s the one temptation that I have such a hard time avoiding. Exercise (mostly running and walking) is becoming a huge part of my life, and I’m loving every second of it!
My journey began one snow-filled, cold-as-heck week in the winter of 2010 when I was living in the great city of Boston. A few (very fit) friends from work and I decided to run a half marathon (I’m not even sure who mentioned it or how the idea got spread around, but we had about 7 women interested in it within a few days)! I had enjoyed running in high school (strictly for fun) and in college (leisurely), and was super excited to train for a race and see if I could do it!
Somehow I managed to train for and run the entire thing without losing a single pound!! I felt such conflicting emotions — complete joy that I finished 13.1 miles and was still standing — and shame that I had eaten so poorly I didn’t have any weight loss to show for it. This really sparked my decision to change my life for the better, and I knew that my diet was at the center of my problems.
Since that race I’ve managed to lose over 50 lbs. I have fallen in love with chia seeds, spinach, cauliflower, green monster smoothies, almond milk, almond butter, fat free half and half — just to name a few. I’m paying attention to nutritional content on top of just counting calories, especially fiber, sugar, & protein. I still have occasional cheat days, I still mess up, but I’m determined to make my goal weight my reality.
I want to be a positive influence for my extended family, friends, and my future children. I have changed for the better in so many ways, it’s hard to count them all, but here are a few:
- I’ve fallen in love with running & don’t think I’ll ever be able to give it up
- Walking/Hiking has become a favorite activity of mine (especially if we throw in a stop for coffee along the way!)
- I love making interesting, healthy dishes for my husband and I
- “Paleo Baking” (I use quotes because it’s sort of “baking if people in the paleo era had ovens and food processors”) is almost more fun then “regular baking” (use of sugar)
- My life is changing every day and I love it!
Stick with me and see how I fair on losing my last 45 lbs & learn how important a healthy diet along with exercise is the best way to lose weight and stay fit!
- My 1 year Paleo-Versary (thisthingcalledpaleo.wordpress.com)
- Transitioning To Paleo (lifestyledezine.com)
- The Facts About Sugar and What it Does to Your Body (weightloss.answers.com)