Homemade Granola Bars
adapted from Taste of Home
makes 32-2″ bars (this is a lot for a two person household. Half of them are currently in the freezer for consumption at a later date!)
- 4 cups quick cook oats
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar, or equivalent half splenda, half brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped salted peanuts
- 1/2 cup sunflower seed kernels
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter, melted
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Mix the oats, peanuts, sunflower kernels, and brown sugar together in a large bowl.
- Melt together the butter and peanut butter (about 1 minute), stir in honey and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry, stir together, then stir in chocolate chips until combined and every oat is moist.
- Spread on baking sheet and bake 15 minutes. Remove from oven. Cool 15 + minutes, then cut into bars and let cool completely in pan.
125 calories // 9 g fat // 4.5 g saturated fat // 10 mg cholesterol // 29 mg sodium // 15 g carbs // 2 g fiber // 5 g sugar // 4 g protein
These bars are fantastic! They are a little high calorie, but I know exactly what’s in them and they are pretty low sugar (if you use the brown sugar-splenda mix like I did). One or two bars definitely satisfy my sweet tooth.