One of the things I miss most when dieting is pizza. Here is a great solution, super easy to make, and way better for you then a pizza!
original recipe found here (in video form)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 whole wheat pita
- 1 tbsp tomato paste or pasta sauce
- oregano, parsley, basil, crushed red pepper (just a pinch, this stuff is spicy!), garlic salt or powder, onion powder
- 1/4 -1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 7 turkey pepperonis
- 1 tbsp parmesan cheese
- Line a baking sheet with foil. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Spread 1 tsp olive oil around top of pita. Spread on tomato paste.
- Sprinkle on spices as desired, I usually use 1/4 tsp each of oregano, parsley, basil and a pinch red pepper, and about 1/8 tsp each of garlic powder and onion powder.
- Top with shredded cheese and pepperonis, sprinkle parmesan on top.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 375 degrees until cheese is melted and pita crush is a little browned.
*The nutrition varies so much for these little pizza’s that I’m not even going to try. For the lowest calorie/carb, look for reduced fat mozzarella, tomato paste instead of tomato sauce, and low carb/low calorie pitas, ex:
*My pita pizzas usually end up being around 350 calories .. but with this new pita they will only be 250, woo hoo!!
*you can add whatever toppings you want, so say goodbye to picky eaters arguing over pizza toppings!